Homeownership is a privilege and a responsibility. Even after decades of owning a home, you may still need some help to handle some of its challenges by focusing on the three "M"s of homeownership: maintenance, minimizing expenses and managing debt and risk.
While many people recognize the benefits of annual wellness, financial, vehicle and equipment maintenance visits, an important checkup that you may not have considered is an annual homeowner advisory or real estate review. Why would you treat the investment in your home with less care than you treat your car or your HVAC system?
Consider exploring the following:
- Do you know the current value of your home? (You can, by obtaining a list of comparable sales in your immediate area, as well as what is currently on the market for sale.)
- Have you compared your assessed value for tax purposes to the fair market value in order to possibly reduce your property taxes?
- Even if you've refinanced in the last two years, can you save money and recapture the cost of refinancing in the length of time you plan to remain in your home?
- Have you considered reducing your mortgage debt with low-earning cash reserves that will not be needed soon?
- Do you have a record of the improvements you've made to your home since you purchased it? Do you know what items can be included?
- Have you considered investing in rental homes in good neighborhoods to increase your yields and avoid the volatility of the stock market?
- When was the last time you updated your home inventory of personal belongings? Do you have pictures as well as written documentation?
- Do you need recommendations of repairmen and other service providers?
This service is part of my point of difference as a real estate professional to provide information to help homeowners not only when they buy and sell but all the years in between too. My goal is to create lifelong relationships with our customers as their "go to" person whenever they have a real estate question.
My strategy is to provide reliable, consumer-based information about homeownership on a regular basis through email and social networking. If it benefits you by helping you be a better homeowner, maybe you'll consider us your real estate professional.
When you don't know the answers to real estate questions, you know where to get them.
We're always here to serve your real estate needs. By helping you with the three "M"s of homeownership, we can earn your confidence and trust for the next time you move or a friend of yours needs a recommendation.
If you'd like to have a list of the market activity in your area or any of the other information mentioned, please contact me at (214) 542-6081 or Mechelle